What You Can Do
As an individual or an organization, you can take a human rights-based approach to disability inclusive development using the following steps:
- Make your organization structure and activities inclusive of people with disabilities and respect, protect, and promote their human rights.
- Develop policies responsive to the human rights of people with disabilities and comply with them. USAID's Standards for Accessibility is an example of such a policy.
- Make PRSPs inclusive of people with disabilities and reflective of their human rights.
- Provide training on the human rights of people with disabilities, and local cultural attitudes toward people with disabilities. Encourage discussion on how to end human rights violations against people with disabilities.
- Employ people with disabilities. Do not discriminate against people with disabilities in your hiring practices.
- Provide an accessible workplace, facilities, services, technology and information.
- Do not discriminate against people with disabilities in the services you provide.
- Protect people with disabilities. Ensure your organization is not committing human rights violations against people with disabilities, even unintentionally. Do not further segregate people with disabilities.
- Support deinstitutionalization and community based living.
- Ensure participatory processes are inclusive of people with disabilities. Consult with people with disabilities in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of programs.
- Strengthen local capacity. Partner with and provide technical assistance to people with disabilities and their organizations. Provide their organizations with knowledge, connections, funding, office space, or other resources.
- Utilize the Convention to develop programs supportive of the human rights of people with disabilities.
- Support Community Driven Development including community-based Rehabilitation, income generation activities, and civil society development.
- Support the development of disability rights legislation and the Rule of Law.
- Raise awareness of the human rights of people with disabilities and enable their access to information.
- Collect data on people with disabilities
- Ensure that your partners are not committing human rights violations and assist them in taking a human rights based approach to disability.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other individuals and organizations to magnify your efforts. Participate in the Global Partnership for Disability and Development (GPDD).
- Assist the dissemination of good practices your organization develops.
- Consider shaming those who violate the human rights of people with disabilities and report human rights abuses against people with disabilities, including violations of economic, social, and cultural rights.
|The Convention as an Inclusive Development Mechanism||Humanitarian Assistance|